How Secure is Cryptocurrency?
Cryptocurrency is a legal digital currency based on blockchain technology. Cryptocurrency is the future of finance, with increasing interest from investors. However, cryptocurrency is not a fail-safe investment — investors need to know the risks and possible scams to keep their money safe.
Things to Consider Before Buying Cryptocurrency
Consider these factors before investing in cryptocurrency:
- Crypto scams are increasing: Cryptocurrency is not safe from hackers. Scammers try to get investors to give up their private keys to access their money.
- Crypto is volatile: Crypto is an unstable investment, with its value fluctuating significantly in hours.
- Blockchain technology is new: Since blockchain is new, few rules for usage and regulations exist.
- Crypto is unregulated: Cryptocurrency is less regulated than other asset classes. If you would lose your capital through a bankrupt or hacked platform, your legal options are minimal.
Risks Associated with Cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency comes with unique risks like:
- Lost keys: Crypto is secured through public and private keys. Losing your private key means losing access to your crypto.
- Investment hype: The hype around crypto investments makes their price surge and crash unpredictably.
- Limited history: Since many cryptocurrencies are new to the market, investors have limited historical data about crypto performance.
Cryptocurrency sees many types of scams, including:
- Pump and dump: A small investor group “pumps” a lot of money into a cryptocurrency to inflate its price. Then, the investor group “dumps” the investment by selling it for a profit before the price falls.
- Giveaway: A scammer claims to be doing a crypto giveaway and asks people to send their crypto to a certain address. They promise to send more crypto in return but don’t follow through.
- Romance: Scammers use online dating platforms to ask people for crypto financial support or offer investment opportunities that don’t exist.
- Phishing: Hackers try to gain access to personal keys by sending investors emails that look like legit messages from the trading platform.
Tips for Keeping Your Cryptocurrency Safe
Cryptocurrency can be a good investment when you exercise caution against the risks. Follow our tips to keep your crypto safe:
- Research your cryptocurrency options: Learn more about a cryptocurrency before investing. Read the whitepaper to understand use cases and scalability. Online forums are great resources for investment tips.
- Diversify your investment: Since crypto is fairly risky, spread your investment across several cryptos. Thousands of cryptocurrencies exist, but it’s too early to differentiate between the best and the average.
- Use a secure crypto wallet: Use a hardware or cold wallet to keep your crypto safe from online attacks.
Choose Agio for Cybersecurity Today
Agio is a hybrid cybersecurity and managed IT organization helping financial firms with technology and security support. Learn how we can make your information systems more secure and reliable by contacting us today.
Connect with us.
Need a solution? Want to partner with us? Please complete the fields below to connect with a member of our team.