How to Set Up Text Replacement Shortcuts Using iOS
Text replacement shortcuts on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac can help you type faster and more efficiently. Your Apple device comes with the shortcut feature enabled, with the shortcut “omw” already added to change to “On my way!” as soon as you type it. Text shortcuts can be used across your devices when you use iCloud to back-up your personal dictionary.
How to Create Text Shortcuts
You can create keyboard shortcuts in two different ways. For the first way, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Locate the Keyboard section, then tap on Text Replacement.
- Click on the Plus sign in the top right corner.
- Fill in the first section with the phrase you want to replace.
- Add the shortcut you plan to use while texting in the second field.
- Click Save in the upper right.
Or, try this second way of adding keyboard shortcuts:
- Begin typing in a text field to pull up the keyboard.
- Touch and hold the smiley face or world emoji in the bottom left corner.
- Select Keyboard Settings, then tap on Text Replacement.
- Add the phrases and shortcuts you want to use.
If you’d like a word or phrase you use often to stop being autocorrected, you can add it to your keyboard shortcuts:
- On the Text Replacement screen, tap the Plus sign in the top right.
- Enter your word or phrase into the first field.
- Leave the shortcut field blank, then click Save.
To delete a shortcut:
- From the Text Replacement screen, tap Edit in the bottom left corner.
- Select the red minus icon and then the red Delete button.
Alternatively, you can swipe to the left on the phrase you’d like to delete and then select the red delete button.
When to Use a Text Shortcut
You can add keyboard shortcuts whenever you’d like to save a few keystrokes or improve your typing efficiency. A few examples of phrases you could use shortcuts for include:
- Email addresses
- Phone numbers
- Frequently used phrases
- Long sentences
When creating a shortcut, be sure to use a couple of characters that are easy to remember but also unusual enough that you won’t accidentally type them and get an unwanted replacement.
Find More IT Support from Agio
Our experts can provide the support your end users need to understand and utilize their technology for business growth. Learn more about our managed IT services to see how we can improve user experience.
Connect with us.
Need a solution? Want to partner with us? Please complete the fields below to connect with a member of our team.