How to Mute Conversations in Microsoft Teams
Managing your chats will help you focus on what’s most important. Follow these quick guides to learn how to change notifications in Microsoft Teams.
When you mute a conversation, you won’t receive notifications, but you’ll still be included in the chat. The conversation will still appear in your recent chat list. Follow these steps:
- Open the chat list.
- Find the conversation you’d like to mute.
- Select “More Options” on the right, then select “Mute.”
- To unmute conversations, select “More Options” then “Unmute.”
Pin your favorite or most active chats to the top of your chat list for quick access. To pin a message:
- Click on the chat list.
- Select the “More Options” icon on the message you want to pin.
- Select “Pin.”
- To unpin a conversation, click on “More Options” again, then “Unpin.”
Hidden conversations no longer appear in your recent chat list, though they will reappear if a message is posted in the chat. The message history will be saved, and you can still participate in the conversation. Follow these steps to hide a chat:
- Select the chat list.
- Click on the “More Options” icon on the conversation you want to hide.
- Select the “Hide” button.
To unhide a conversation, follow these steps:
- Click on the search bar at the top of Teams.
- Search for the person you were chatting with and select them.
- Find the chat in your recent chat list.
- Select “More Options,” then “Unhide.”
Mute Notifications during a Meeting
Encourage focus by muting Teams notifications from outside of your meeting. You’ll still get alerts from your meeting chat, but all other actions will be muted.
When in a meeting:
- Go to the top of the meeting window.
- Select “More Actions.”
- Mute notifications.
- To turn them back on, return to “More Actions” and then allow notifications again.
To mute notifications from your settings:
- Go to the top right corner of Teams.
- Select “Settings and More.”
- Click on “Settings,” then “Notifications.”
- Scroll down to meetings and calls.
- Select “Edit.”
- Turn on the toggle for “Mute Notifications During Meetings and Calls.”
Manage GroupMe Conversations
To mute conversations from a specific group, follow these steps:
- Find the group chat you want to mute.
- Select the group’s profile picture.
- Select “Settings.”
- In the “Notifications” area, choose your muting preferences.
If you would like to mute all groups, follow this process:
- Select “Settings.”
- Choose your notification preferences in the “Notifications for all Chats” area.
Find More IT Support at Agio
Our experts will provide the constant IT support your end users need to understand and leverage your technology for success. Learn more about our managed IT services today!
Connect with us.
Need a solution? Want to partner with us? Please complete the fields below to connect with a member of our team.